Everything is in doubles today! In honor of my sister who gave birth to a set of twin girls Monday, I felt we could use some fun and freaky-weird twin facts to welcome them into our crazy family!
- Fraternal twins are hereditary. Identical are not. There is a “twin gene” that is passed on by the parents. Thanks mom and dad, for now I am scared shit that you have passed it along to me!
- Twins can have different dads. Talk about baby daddy drama!
- Twins usually make there own secret language.
- Chances of having twins increase as you get older…especially over the age of 30.
- Twin fetuses start playing with each other in the womb at 14 weeks.
- The scientific study of twins is known as “gemellology.” The word twin is probably derived from an ancient German word twine. which means ‘two together.’
- 22% of twins are left handed.
- Cirque du Soleil employs the most sets of twins. (With the exception of course of the Twins restaurant in New York City where you can only be a waiter if you are an identical twin.) Weird.
- Once you’ve had fraternal twins, you are 3 to 4 times more likely to have another set.
- Where you live can help determine whether or not you concieve multiples. If you live in Massachusetts and Connecticut, the twinning rate is 25% higher than the general populace.
We can only hope the twin gene was only passed on to my sister ;-P hehe!