I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials and know what Planet Fitness is…you know, the ‘Lunk-Free Zone’ to work out? (If you haven’t check this out!)
Well, lucky for us South Floridians, Planet Fitness gyms (primarily in the northeast) are now popping up around our palm tree-clad cities. I was invited to a blogger event to check out the brand spankin’ new Planet Fitness in Pembroke Pines. Now, let me ask you this a few questions – raise your hand if you have felt like you sold your soul to the devil when you signed up for a gym membership? **Hand raises in the air** Or if you have to see a bunch of muscly armed, skinny legged men grunting, moaning and/or throwing weights down as if they just conquered Spain at your gym? **Hand still in the air** Or if the women who “workout” (and by workout I mean talk/text/socialize) at your gym come dressed in what you can only describe as undergarments, full makeup and hair done? **Arm getting tired**
I have good news for anyone who answered yes or has a numb arm from being raised so long. Planet Fitness takes the annoyance out of the everyday gym and caters to making your gym experience a comfortable, no-nonsense experience that – here’s the kicker – is affordable! One low monthly rate (for as low as $10/month), no hidden fees or charges and they don’t skimp on the amenities those chain, corporate ones charge you your first unborn child for. So you are probably asking, “But why Planet Fitness?” Sure there are plenty other gyms out there that imitate but they just don’t compare to what Planet Fitness does for its members. Here are 10 reasons why Planet Fitness should be the next gym you join:
- No Lunks. Lunks are those muscly, crazy gym people that you usually see hogging the weights and staring at their muscles in the mirrors. Don’t get me wrong, if I worked just as hard as they did I’d probably stare at myself too, but the last thing most people want to see when they are trying to press 10 lbs. is a person pressing 80, throwing it down and screaming like they just moved a mountain. It can be discouraging just as much as some people think it’s motivating. If you see any of this type of behavior at Planet Fitness, simply go to the front desk and they will sound the ‘Lunk Alarm’. And yes, there really is a ‘Lunk Alarm’ in the gym.
sound the lunk alarm
- Free Training. If you are looking to get in shape but don’t know where to start, Planet Fitness offers complimentary training from one of their qualified trainers. Crazy right? Those other gyms charge out of the ass for just one session but at Planet Fitness simply sign up for an hour session whenever you’d like. Although some sessions might not be private, so many people under use this awesome amenity that you will most likely get a private training session every time.
- The PF Express 30-minute Workout. If you don’t have time for a long workout, don’t worry-hop in to Planet Fitness’ 30-minute Workout room and get a total body workout in just 30 minutes. Equipped with everything you would need for a circuit training session, you simply obey the traffic light and every minute go from one station to the next until you have completed your workout. You have 30 seconds between every red light to get set up at the next machine. We did this while at the event, and let me tell you, Best.Idea.Ever!
get in, get out, get fit
- Member Appreciation Days. Every month, Planet Fitness has a member appreciation day. They provide bagels, so get there first thing in the morning and enjoy some breakfast before (or after) your workout! A gym that encourages you to eat, hells yeah!
- Low membership fees. I know I said this before but $10/month or $20/month for their black card status is a freaking deal and a half. It’s affordable for families and there are no hidden fees or cancellation charges.
- Black Card Membership. This is just $10 more a month (totaling $20) and check out what you get with it: Use of tanning, hydromassages, unlimited use of massage chairs, guest passes, t-shirt, key chain and unlimited training. Totally worth it!
- No Limit Cardio. Don’t you hate it when you are given a limit on cardio machines? When I was training for a ½ marathon, sometimes I needed to run longer than 30 minutes as allotted by my ex-gym and they enforced that rule, especially during the busy times. No limits here! Planet Fitness stocks their gyms with more than enough treadmills, ellipticals, and bike machines. No more looking over your shoulder to see someone breathing down your neck to finish while you are running.
rows and rows of cardio
- Private ab room. When you are done your workout end it in the ab room! They have everything you need to get that six pack all in one space.
get that six pack
- Hydromassage. If you haven’t experienced this, I highly suggest you go now and try this. For a small fee you can use this whenever you’d like. It’s a massage bed that shoots air up and down your sore, tired muscles and it’s the craziest experience ever and it’s just awesome. Especially after a tough workout.
laying on the hydromassage…great massage, horrific pic
- Judgement-Free Zone. The philosophy Planet Fitness follows really transforms what everyone thinks a gym is. They don’t care how long you run on the treadmill, they don’t care if you can’t life more than a 2 lb. dumbbell, and they don’t care if you have no clue how to use a machine. What they care about is that you are there, bettering yourself and enjoying the process. Lets face it, if you don’t enjoy where you workout, chances are you won’t come back. Planet Fitness made its gyms comfortable, easy to use and help accessible to everyone of all shapes and sizes. For this is what makes them stand leaps and bounds above the rest.
no judgement…no critics…all results
If that list doesn’t motivate you to get to a Planet Fitness and join, I don’t know what will. Talking with the owner, Scott, I asked him when more will be built, for us Broward County folks. He assured me that with in the year, Broward County will be getting some. Yay! For now, there are 6 locations in Miami-Dade & South Broward Counties. But first, enter my awesome Planet Fitness 1-year Black Card Membership Giveaway! Yah you heard me! One lucky reader will receive a 1-year, Black Card Membership from Planet Fitness. Simply follow these requirements and you will be entered for a chance to receive 1-year free at a location near you.
1 – Follow Planet Fitness on Facebook & Twitter: comment below telling me you did and get 2 entries!
2 – Follow AntiMomBlog on Facebook & Twitter: comment below telling me you did and get 2 entries (still get 2 entries if you already are, just state in comment!)
3 – Share! Tweet about the giveaway using #PlanetFitnessMIA : comment below telling me you did and get 1 entry! example tweet: Enter to #win a 1 yr black card membership @PlanetFitness over at @AntiMomBlog today! #PlanetFitnessMIA #giveaway
4 – Share on Facebook! Share the giveaway link with your Facebook friends: comment below telling me you did and get 1 entry!
The giveaway will last one week and close February 13, 2014 at 11:59 pm EST. I will announce the winner on February 14, 2014.
Thank you to Planet Fitness for this incredible giveaway opportunity and be sure to tell everyone about this! You do not want to miss out on the opportunity of joining Planet Fitness!
Disclaimer: I was provided a free membership in return for a review and a free membership for a giveaway. All opinions and thoughts are my own.